Saturday, March 15, 2008

Rorschach

We just got back from a 21 mile bike ride around D.C., up to Bethesda, Md., and back. I love that ride. The weather was wonderful. Spring! The only snafu was when a stick flew up and lodged between my brake and the head tube. As my front wheel stopped on a dime, my rear wheel flew up towards my head until Mark sideswiped me with his bike and I straightened up .....sort of. I didn't fly over the handle bars, but there will be bruises tomorrow.



This is what I was working on at 6 am. Months ago I joined a couple of photos with some arbitrary words. I really liked the combination.
The pen and ink you see next to the book were freebees from the art ed conference in November. I hadn't used pen and ink in probably 20 plus years, and these tools have been calling to me since I received them.
I played around with the pen on several pages, but I rather liked it best on this one. The photo montage has a pastor in the water, apparently for a baptism. The man above looks like a guru and is surrounded by children. The words beneath say "A Numerical Example." I have marked hundreds of tally marks with the pen and ink. All of it is a fairly arbitrary combination except for the tallies. I just chose them because of the words "numerical example." It is interesting how your brain will make meaning out of the images however. Kind of a Rorschach test.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like this, and the hatch marks make an interesting pattern, and seem to be marking the passage of time. That's my Rorschach interpretation.