Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Name that Critter




As I'm writing this, I am sitting in my bathrobe, melting into the sofa. Last night, I got about five hours of sleep, when usually I get 8 1/2 or 9. I've been "done" since I got out of bed this morning.

Anticipating being short tempered and grouchy today, I disarmed myself, so to speak, when I got to school. To keep my impatience at bay, I just turned off my nerves.........my brain........my expectations of angelic behavior of any sort. That way, no one would feel the wrath of grouchy, tired me. My face must have shown that I felt on edge though and scared the little dears into submission. They were actually pretty good. Things that generally would have sent me to put-off-ville, just didn't phase me. My brain was just too tired.

I taught a wire sculpture lesson to my two first grade classes; a lesson provided by the county. The kids watched a video of "Calder's Circus" and talked about his wire sculptures. Then they made their own circus animals out of pipe cleaners. The critters they created were abstract at best. Luckily, the kids didn't get frustrated over the fact that their animals were a bit difficult to discern. I kept telling them that they didn't have to make animals that looked like mine or any one elses'. "We're all experimenting today." That was true. I think they just enjoyed playing with an unfamiliar medium, and the outcome wasn't as important to them.

Okay. Did you guess the animal in the picture?

It's an elephant. And I actually think he is cute.

I'm going to take my tired self up to bed now, and hope I go to sleep quickly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was going to guess a brontosaurus, that's pretty close to an elephant. : )

Susan Tuttle said...

You handled your day in a stellar way! I taught elementary general music for 10 years before having my kids - I could totally relate to all you said - I remember days like those.

Susan