Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Making a Roll Top Stove Compartment for My Camper


I get asked all the time about my TUNE camper. The other day I showed a nice man the interior. (This behavior freaks Mark out, as he is sure I am going to get snatched away doing this.) 

The back was full of boards and tools, as I am working on lots of little projects out there. One thing I hated was how out in the open all my stuff is. Wanting a cozy cabin vibe, I envision the look, uncluttered. The compartment for my stove is under the bench I built. Held in by a bungee cord, it looked janky. 

An upgrade that popped in my head was to cover for spot with a roll top cover. (The fancy name, I have learned, is a “tambour” top.)

I play with ideas in my head a lot and figured out a design, then looked at YouTube for how to actually build it. You’re supposed to use a router. Since I don’t have one, I concocted a work around. 

Here are the steps of what I have done so far.

I bought a long strip of wood around 12’ long. No clue what its intended purpose is, but it seemed like a good idea for this. Pieces about 14” long were cut and then glued onto a black canvas. The big board at the end was glued on to give it a little weight.

After the glue dried, I cut the “tambour” off the canvas. 

Since I don’t have a router to cut a wood track, I cut the curve out of plywood. The tambour will slide on top of it. 

That’s as far as I got yesterday. Hopefully, I will finish the rest of it today.

No comments: