Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Preschool "Winter Coats"

I try to teach lessons in preschool that include pretending.  If I could bring in cardboard boxes for them all to turn into playhouses, I would.  That's a bit unwieldy though, so we pretend to create things in more manageable sizes.  In this lesson they created their own winter coat.

Note the buttons, zippers and pockets.  I reminded them to add details that you might see on real coats.


We looked at photos of real coats and then they created their own in a way that was meaningful to them.

Their favorite part was when they got to wear them back to their classroom.

7 comments:

ZenCrafter said...

Great activity, Jan! I wonder if this would help motivate my son to actually wear his real coat?

Snippety Gibbet said...

Patricia.........LOL! I think you should sew him a muslin one that he can decorate. You're such a prolific crafter, you should be able to whip one right up. ; )

Unknown said...

Aww Jan this is such a cool idea, I bet the kids had a ball showing off their new coats lol!

BTW I have some rather special fashions on show today, pop in!

Julie said...

This was a great project! I know they were so proud of their coats!!!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Those expressions of accomplishment must make your day rewarding! So cute :)

Sara Bowen said...

Just lovely! Your kids have a fabulous time in your classroom, Jan, the lucky things!

random Cindy said...

What an awesome idea! Those kids are so blessed to have a teacher like you.