Tuesday, July 27, 2010

YouTube as My Crafts Teacher

I so love YouTube. I post my own videos there. Mostly I post my art ed tutorials. Recently, I have begun using it as a learning tool for my own benefit.

Last winter I wanted to learn how to knit, so I went to the web for the info. There were tons of tutorial videos waiting for me. Following along with a patchwork of several videos, I knitted scarves, hats and gloves.

While we were on vacation, my granddaughter saw a knitted hair band that she wanted. The price didn't fit in with her budget though. Instead of pitching in the $30 asking price for the band, I decided to come home and figure out how to do it myself.


I found the blog of the "Hollywood Knitter to the Stars," which is fun to look at just to see what knitted items you recognize from movies. She also has tutorials linked from there to YouTube. I figured out how to do the hairband by watching her videos.

There were plenty of yarn flower tutorials on YouTube as well. Most of them were crocheted. Now, I haven't touched a crochet hook in well over (gulp) 30 years. And when I did crochet those many years ago, I only knew a couple of rudimentary stitches. I followed along with "tjw1963", who has tons of crochet tutorials, and was actually able to create a half decent flower.

Next in line for tutorials is "How to use the Canon Rebel that I bought in the Spring and can't use anything but the automatic settings."

1 comment:

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

It is amazing what we can learn without leaving our computer! Nice job on the knitted head band. When you learn all that cool stuff about your Canon you can teach me. I shoot almost exclusively on automatic.