I must have spent at least an hour online last night trying to find out what the problem was with my hat making. Of course I can tell that this hat was a bit on the long side, but I had intended for that length at the bottom to just roll up. Instead, it just flopped down.
All I could find on the web was that the looms labeled as "adult hat" size were all too big to fit any human head. No other solution presented itself, so pretty it isn't, but I fixed the loom to my liking.
Since this is a "flexiloom," I was able to cut a section off without breaking it. I cut off about an inch and a half with two pegs and then wired the loom back together.
I'm sure there's a better way to do this, but hey, it worked for me.
I got up at 4 this morning; undid the previous cap; then tried again on the "improved" loom. The fit was better but not perfect. I undid the hat for about the fifth time to try again. On the web I had read that you should use two strands of yarn instead of one.
Tada!!! That did the trick.
It's plenty heavy and as long or short as I might like it.
Those of you who warned me of yarn addictions were right on the money. I'm heading back to the craft store tomorrow. I need a red hat now.