Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Tidbits and Snippets

Sometimes I get blog comments that are more interesting than my post. Or I get questions that I want to address. So here are some tidbits from comments.

re: X-acto knife blades
Chan Bliss said...
Back when I worked in advertising there was a layout artist that would use an x-acto knife for weeks on end. On his drafting table was a small sharpening stone. He could get the blade sharper and pointier that original. The only reason he changed blades was when the blade became too small to work with.

re: gifts for teachers
diana said...
My favourite gift was shortbread cookies from a mum of a kindergarten child. She made them and gift wrapped them especially for me with a lovely card. I felt very special that someone had gone to the trouble cooking for me. My kindergarten niece has got her teacher a big chocolate shaped into an apple with no.1 teacher on it. It is gorgeous as is her teacher, he is a gem.


re: the house I lived in when I was in middle and high school
Yes, that was a porch upstairs. As an adolescent I used it as:
1. a post from which my friends and I could watch boys drive by
2. the best vantage point in town for watching parades
3. a place in which I could dangle my little brother....yes, from the wrong side
4. an access point to the roof of the wrap around porch. We would often sit on the roof just because we could.

re: Mom's recipe for pecan pie

Blender Pecan Pie

2 8-inch unbaked pie shells
3 eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon sherry
1/8 salt, teaspoon
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups chopped pecans

Put everything into blender in given order except pecans. Blend 10 seconds or until mixed well. Put 1 cup of nuts in each pie shell. Pour blended mixture over nuts. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.

People always comment that this pie is good mostly because it isn't one of the overly sweet pecan pies.

Book.........My blogger friend, Susan Tuttle, has a new book. Her work is really quite beautiful. Exhibition 36: Mixed-Media Demonstrations + Explorations. This book will be the next thing I buy on Amazon. It's just that good.

2 comments:

Chan Bliss said...

I'm makin' pie this weekend!

Anonymous said...

That recipe sounds really awesome! I'm putting it in my overflowing recipe collection!
You dangled your brother off the upstairs porch? I love it! Not that I'm saying that my boys could behave in such a way (what I don't know won't hurt me, right?)
And you scored with those exacto knives - I hadn't even thought about ebay. You're brilliant. My fingers are itching to papercut after the holidays.