Friday, March 6, 2015

Carvin' Complete


I've mostly finished the spoon.  All I need to do now is to treat it with olive oil and bees wax.  How I do that, I have no clue.

I am pretty happy and surprised with the results.  The bowl is not perfectly smooth inside but maybe that skill will come with time.  Of course, it was all done by hand, so maybe a little imperfection is acceptable.

Carving this thing took the better part of two days.  I wonder if I make more, if the process will speed up. 

My long time blog pal, Liz, commented that this is a big switch from the fancy eggs I usually make this time of year.  I was thinking the same thing myself.  Last year I sold my pysanky at work,  This year, I have no captive audience to sell them to and I already have tons of eggs as it is.  I'll have to figure out something next year.



3 comments:

Phyl said...

The spoon is lovely! I know what you mean about selling your eggs. I have a stockpile of jewelry that I used to sell at school.

sallgood said...

I'm so impressed! Years ago, I said I wanted to learn to carve wood. Hasn't happened yet…. :D

Little Ol' Liz said...

There's a cook on the Food Network that uses hand carved individual wooden measuring spoons. I believe there may be a market for those if you were so inclined. Yours -- as a first go at it -- is beautiful.