Sunday, August 31, 2014

Planning

It seems very odd to me, but I haven't quite gotten hold of what I am supposed to be doing now that all my pals are back at school.  Don't get me wrong, I have no desire to join them, but I feel as though I am spinning my wheels a lot during the day.  My retired friends encourage me to not sweat the feeling that I should be accomplishing great things.  That's tough.

For the past 30 years I have recorded what I need to do for every hour in the work day.  Teaching a different class every hour of the work day made me very time oriented.  I even feel a bit freakish about how much I am a stickler for being on time and about organizing my day.

The first official act I took as a retiree was to buy myself a plan book. It makes me feel as though I have meaningful things to do and helps me keep my plans straight. I do wonder if I will ever outgrow the need to constantly plan and keep track of the minutiae of my day.



4 comments:

Phyl said...

Give it a little time! Think of all the things you never could do. Go grocery shopping on a Tuesday morning. Start new snip projects. Join a gym. I'm perpetually amazed at how busy I am since I retired. Suddenly, you'll fin your time has been filled.

For example: On Wednesdays (once the good weather is gone) I go to a movie matinee with a group of retired friends from my school district, and then we go out for a late lunch/early dinner. I've become region rep for my state art ed organization. I teach workshops whenever an opportunity arises. My husband and I take day jaunts when everyone else is at work. I sign up for interesting and fun classes. Plan some unusual tea el. There's volunteer opportunities, things to do with your local senior center, subbing, and so on.

The big thing is, there's do much you CAN do, but don't try to say yes to it all. Take your time figuring out what you really want! There's nothing wrong with having that daily schedule (we keep a joint calendar to coordinate plans) but don't try to overstuff it. Let it happen!

Julie said...

Not to worry...you will get used to it. I have so much to do each day I wonder if I can ever work again.

jackie said...

Yes, you will get used to it. I started off at a gallop and did so much, but now the time just passes slowly and sometimes I forget to rejoice at the bliss of being retired. Enjoy. Thanks for your comment.

sallgood said...

Hi! Hope all is well with you! Just wanted to say hello. :D